Water to Wine and Back Again, an article on marine pollution and protection of marine animals blog#1

protection of aquatic Animals & Environments

The water on our planet works in a cycle, and every waterway connect to another. This grants many species to migrate throughout the world, but this also makes pollution in any body of water a problem.  All it takes is a single piece of trash to take a life. Animals world wide suffer from the pollution created by humans. The world is extremely fragile and we need to be at the very least aware of what we are doing to it.

It’s not only major corporations that are responsible for polluting the environment that animals need to survive in. According to the Clean Air council, “Every year, Americans use approximately 102.1 billion plastic bags, creating tons of landfill waste.” Some environments have become so polluted that it’s even hostile to humans. Even some of everyday waist can lead to a higher risk of cancer. To see a chart of contaminations and what illnesses they can lead to click here. In the United States of America and the majority of the first world; we need to understand that the phrase “Out of sight, out of mind.” doesn’t apply to this problem.

Water Pollution in Bangladesh, to see more pictures click here

There are many grants and laws set to protect pollution but some things aren’t enough. Although the Safe Drinking Water Act protects American sources, it only protects our drinking water, and not the water of the marine life. Perhaps one of the most famous aquatic environmental destroyers is BP or British Petroleum. On April 20th, 2010  high pressured methane gas poured into the gulf of Mexico, destroying an exceptional amount of wildlife. As of July 9th 2013 BP had spent $25 billion, PBS stated, but that doesn’t bring back the thousands of marine animals that died from the pollution. For more information on the BP oil spill click here. However, BP isn’t the only source responsible for marine destruction. Whaling, a common activity done in many asian countries like Japan, is another source that’s done, even when it’s opposed by the U.N. Whales are a huge part of the Marine cycle and without whales the possibility of krill rapidly arrises. Krill live off the same nutrients that many other micro-organisms need to live. This could end with many more marine animals on the endangered species list.

Wetlands are homes for almost infinite number of life, spanning from crane to small bacterial animals. Since the European settlement of the United States, 53% of wetlands in America have disappeared according to WARPT. Wetlands are destroyed to aid the growth of urban communities. On top of the destruction of wetlands, the creation of factories, farms, and towns creates a large amount of waste that potentially endangers aquatic and semi-aquatic animals. Tourist can also endanger marine environments; scuba divers and scouclers can bring humans dangerously close to marine environments that are already extremely fragile. Since the boom of gasoline, growth of technology, and the expanse of human population, we as a species have hurt our ocean more than any other species boom.

There are many groups and organizations set to help protect marine life in danger of extinction, and thanks to them the blue whale has made a major come back and is even close to being excluded from the endangered animals list; but for every one  animal taken off of the list there is a predicted 3 to be on the list by 2018. Sometimes the damage is abstract; a less common form of extinction is a functional extinction. This means that a species is only alive and functioning in captivity. Some Famous functionally extinct animals are northern salmon and the albino crocodile.

You don’t need to give money, or start a major protest, all you need to do is care. Just be an advocate for the world; when you see a piece of trash just pick it up. The world is a fragile place and it’s so easy to destroy but we can make a change. As human beings we can do amazing things when we put in effort; if everyone tried to make a difference for just one day we could reverse 25% of potential damage done to marine life. As human beings we can take the damage we have already done and fix it.

Annotated bibliography

Ali Driggers (Student 2017)
Ali Driggers

This is really good. You have the reader thinking about everything you say. I agree with you. People need to stop polluting, and they need to pick up trash that is seen. In this article, you also show why laws aren't enough to stop pollution. You are informative about why that is so, which I like. You love the planet, and you make that super obvious in your post. This is excellent, and I really like it

Niah Lombo (Student 2017)
Niah Lombo

I really like this topic, you had strong information on the topic. I liked how you add some pictures and a chart on how our own waste can infect us. Can't wait to hear more from you.

Damir Hunley (Student 2017)
Damir Hunley

Xavier. Xavier. Xavier. I absolutely love your choice in topic. My first topic was going to be something similar but to me it was not the same without the physical contribution aspect (going to the aquarium was what I had in mind). The way you passionately portrayed your point was well written and was easy to read and comprehend, 2 thumbs up from me !

Haisha Hahsy (Student 2017)
Haisha Hahsy

I have noticed one big thing that you have done, copy and pasted some things you should quote it and make a intro for it by like saying i got this info from —- and the the quote then write some fed back like this matters because or why i have shown this quote or etc. Other than that i like the info you gave it was very nice and the pic gave me more picture like yeah that's right i have seen that her and in another pic.