YATM Blog Post # 2: Hunger

Hello, everyone! It is Fodie Camara. I’m in the 9th grade and a student of Science Leadership Academy. In English class we were asked to write three blogs about something that we care about. I picked the issue of hunger. To me this a very important topic. If you don’t remember, my first blog post, talked about hunger-related facts and how it affects kids and the local community.

At my old school- Penn Alexander- we had a Food Can Drive every single year. We would have a month to bring in cans that would then be brough tto a food bank next to our school. I have been doing this ever since 1st grade, so I have been giving cans in for 8 straight years. For the second blog post, we had to write about our topic. So what I did for my topic is an interview, survey, and a Food Can Drive.

This survey gave me some responses that helped me give answer to my questions. I ask questions like Where do you think the most hunger takes place in the world? What does the government do to try to stop hunger? Have you and your family been affected by hunger? I ask questions these to see what people think about hunger.  The responses I got for my question was that Africa, Asia, India were the areas where most hunger takes place in the world. The responses I got for my question was that nobody’s family has ever been affected by hunger. The responses I got for my question that nothing is being done in Philadelphia to stop hunger and or food drives and food stamps.

I expected for the question “where do you think the most hunger takes place in the world?”, the answer to be Africa because that is what most people think when they think about hunger. Also for the question “have you and your family been affected by hunger?”, I expected the answer no because people I know won’t tell the truth because they won’t want people to know or something like that. I expected for the question “what does the government do to try to stop hunger?” for to people to say Food Stamps and food can drives and donations and stuff like that and all of the people said that. All this new information I learned about hunger makes me see the world very different now.

The interview I’m having is with my Advisor. I asked him the questions that I put on the survey. He said that places that are hungry are areas that find it hard to grow food like North Africa, India and China. These areas also have a shortage of water, and we all know you can’t grow food without water. He said that hunger affects people because if you don’t have food, you won’t be successful and they can’t be focused and the big impact is that without food it going to lead to bigger problems. He also said that the government does a bad job trying to stop hunger, we could do a lot more to stop it. He said in Philadelphia a lot of group like Philabunces and other group do things without the government. So in Philadelphia the government does a bad job trying to stop hunger. He and his family have been affected by hunger couldn’t eat food from coming from school to home. He had a pretty big family,  food couldn’t always make him full. It was hard growing up because it wasn’t always food when he looked.

I will be doing a Food Can Drive, this will be taking place here at (Science Leadership Academy). I will put bins in each of the freshman classrooms. I’ll be going around through the classrooms giving some information about hunger. All of the classrooms will have about to the end of May to collect cans. After collected all those cans, I will give the cans to the hunger coalition.

Annotated Bibliography