Alex McGrorty Benchmark

Collapsibility Review 

For my benchmark, I selected two countries from both of my regions. In the first rotation I was in the South American region. In the second I was in the East Asian region. Therefore, I chose Brazil to represent the prior, and South Korea to represent the latter. Both of these nations were very different, and in some respects polar opposites. However, I actually found some surprising similarities. Brazil is still considered a developing nation, however, its economy has recently had a boon, and it is one of the dominant economic nations in South America. This is very different from South Korea, who, during the 1970s and 80s became very quickly and vastly industrialized, leading their closed off economy to open up. Both these nations are also dealing with environmental issues that have been brought on by their growing economic status, and have some similar trade partners. 

My process was fairly simple. I devoted a few days to just researching. I would look for specific articles and media that dealt with all five of the points in the framework. I would just leave a textedit document open, and write down important facts figures and excerpts. When I had enough information, I then wrote about a paragraph for each, keeping a running tally of them all, basically. Originally I was going to make an iWeb, but I was running into problems publishing my site, and I wasn't really happy with the results. Then I decided to make a brochure-style document, so that each of the nations could be directly compared with the other in the same column.

As far as the actual five point framework goes, it was fairly straightforward. All of the components of a collapse have been reviewed in the media for both of these nations, so I just had to find the proper resources to support this. The only confusing thing I found was making a difference between environmental problems/climate change/society's response to environmental problems. All three of these issues kind of go hand in hand, so I felt like I was repeating myself a little when I wrote about each of them. 

If I could change one thing about this product, it would probably just be to give myself more time. From the beginning I had most of my information compiled and I was good on the actual content, but I feel like I didn't leave myself enough time for the actual organization of my info in a creative and aesthetically pleasing way. I'm actually really happy with my result as of right now, but I could probably always make it better in the future.