Asking/telling time.

Have you ever wanted to know what time it was saying it in Spanish? I have wanted to know. Asking the time and telling the time is an easy way of saying it in Spanish. It isn’t really hard at all. In this lesson I will teach you how to ask and tell time in Spanish so that you will know how to answer, or ask the question, what time it is in Spanish.

You could ask what time it is in three ways.

What time is it?

1.  ¿You say Queue Hoar es?                                You pronounce it like this:     K   Or`a     es

2. ¿You say Que Hora son?                             You pronounce it like this:     K    Ora      son

3. ¿You say Que Hora tiene?                          You pronounce it like this:      K Ora   ty   iene

When you want to say o clock you must say

1. Es la una                                                   You pronounce it like this:           S   La una

When you say a full sentence with a number you must have in the front:

Son las:        For example       Son Las dos (2)          2:00

Son las tres (3)           3:00

Son las cuatro (4)      4:00

When you say 15 in time, you must say

1.  Y cuatro      For example        Dos y cuatro         2:15

Tres y cuatro        3:15

Diez y cuatro        10:15

When you say 30 in time you must say

1.   Y media      For example       Dos y media           2:30

Tres y media        3:30

Diez y media         10:30

When you say 45 in time you must say

1. Meno’s cuatro      For example       Ocho meno’s cuatro        8:45

Cinco meno’s cuatro       5:45

Nueve meno’s cuatro      9:45

Reminder:  Number’s of minutes before an hour is always said meno’s in Spanish.

(Scenario)

Jake wanted to know what time it was so that he wouldn’t miss his train so he went to a Spanish-speaking woman to ask the time. Jake asked the women

Jake:        Disculpe (Excuse me)

Women:      Si (Yes)

Jake:        ¿Que Hora es?   (What is the time)?

Women:    Son las ocho y cuatro  (It’s 8:15)

Jake:        Bueno Vale, Muchas Gracias.  (Ok, Thanks’ a lot)

Women:   De nada, Que le vaya bien!!!  (Your welcome, have a good one.)

Jake:       Y Tu    (And You)