Building Parks in Communities: Taking the Necessary Steps

In my last blog post I wrote about my topic which was Building Parks in Communities. I went into detail of how I was going to get my information from my interview. I also described how the area I lived in had a high crime and poverty rate. I provided statistics on why the parks were important and gave my personal connection to my topic. Now you will find out how my interview went.

My first choice for my interview was Michael Nutter but, then I started to think about how busy he might have been. So I decided to switch him out for Councilman Kenyatta Johnson. I chose him because he put 3 million dollars into renovating and building parks all over philadelphia. I found out about him by trying to look for important people that would have authority about change in Philadelphia. I saw a couple of councilman but, Councilman Kenyatta stood out to me because of the areas he improved. He focused on low income areas that really need the parks and renovation into the area.

Once I got his contact information I emailed him right away. I waited a couple of week and there was no response.
Screenshot 2017-06-08 at 5.02.25 PM
Screenshot 2017-06-08 at 5.02.25 PM
I waited a couple of more days because I thought he was just a really busy man but, I still had no response. So I searched online to find out where his office was and it turned out to be at city hall. In that same week I went to his office to see if I would be able to talk to him. Once I got there I found out that he had already left for the day. Since I told them about my project they gave me his schedulers contact information.

So it was the next day and I decided to email her.

Screenshot 2017-06-08 at 5.19.10 PM
Screenshot 2017-06-08 at 5.19.10 PM
So like I did for Councilman Kenyatta Johnson I waited and just like Kenyatta Johnson there was no reply. I never had the time to go back up to city hall again but, I really tried to get the interview. Next time I am thinking about having an interview I am going to make sure that there is a backup person for me to interview.

After this whole situation I still had to figure what I was going to do for my agent of change. I had a couple of ideas in mind which included me raisng money to help an organization build a park, provide a slide show to my advisory, or have an event at a park. I wrestled with these ideas for weeks. Trying to figure out which idea I would be able to do in the amount of time that I had. I was moved to do a presentation to my advisory because thats what alot of my classmates were doing. I enjoyed all of the research that I have done so far. Styed tuned for my next blog post to find out what I ultimately chose. If you want more information check out my Annotated Bibliography.