Collapsibility Benchmark

​Mongolia vs. Israel website

Mongolia is a fairly undeveloped country, where 25% of the population live as nomadic herders.  It suffers from a variety of environmental problems, given their desert climate, such as drought, desertification, soil erosion and forest fires.  The country also has very low clean water resources.  Israel is also a desert climate that suffers from water scarcity and pollution, although both issues are being thoroughly addressed with desalinization plants and environmental policy.  

Mongolia is a fairly neutral country that attempts to maintain friendly ties with most developed countries in Asia, Europe as well as the United States. The only hostility is within the country between Mongolians and Chinese workers.  Israel, on the other hand, has hostilities surrounding it. It has no trade partners in the Middle East, but compensates for this by trading with the U.S. and EU.  It's strongest enemies are Palestine, Iran and Syria. 

This five-point framework was very straight forward.  The topics were clear and easy to research and provided a thorough overview of each country.  I began this project with reading each country's profile on the CIA Factbook.  This provided a general understanding of the issues that plague each country.  I then searched for news articles and scholarly publications about specific topics.  I chose to present my information in the form of a website.  I figured this would allow me to include visual components as well as create lengthy pieces of writing, which I am most comfortable doing. I am very pleased with the final product.

If I could change one thing about my website, I would include a more visual representation of the 5-point framework.  I used colors, but it would have been great to include a sliding scale image.

As I researched the issues that my countries faced, I realized how closely related my countries were.  Although they are located in completely different parts of the world, they both face a water crisis and desertification.  The world is truly one society that faces many common problems.  It is our responsibility to work together through globalization to protect it.