Collapsing Knowledge

For my 4th quarter Globalization Benchmark, we were assigned to analyze the five point framework by Jared Diamond with two countries. The five point frameworks were Environmental Damage, Climate Change, Hostile Neighbors, Friendly Trade Partners, Societies response to its environmental problems. My region was South America, I decided to rate the five point frameworks of Chile and my previous region was Central America so therefore, I rated Haiti. We were suppose to rate each of the five point frameworks level of collaps'ablity with 1 being the worst and 10 being best. 

Haiti and Chile in 2010 were both hit by severe Earthquakes that caused a lot of damage to the nations. Haiti being a small and poverty-stricken nation suffered the bigger devastation while Chile is a developed country and were able to handle the situation a lot better. The 2010 Chile Earthquake was one of the strongest that has ever hit the universe but Haiti suffered way more. Chile has a lot of friendly trade deals where they are importing products  and crops such as wine and copper with nations such as Malaysia and the United States. Haiti however, being the poorly developed nation mostly receives imports and they need all the help they can get before the Earthquake even hit. Haiti and Chile are both countries that are suffering from climate change and environmental disasters but the societal response in Chile is a lot more stable. Chile having a stable government while Haiti being one of the most corrupt in the world.

The five point framework at times was easy but for some of them, it was really hard. I had a lot of trouble finding information about the Hostile Neighbors and Friendly Trade Partners but doing research about the Environmental levels was a lot easier to work around. It was hard to figure out how the trade deals worked with the countries because Haiti is so poor that there was only information about how disastrous there nation was. Chile, it was difficult to find information about the hostile neighbors and I was only able to find information about their history. If I were to change one thing about my product, I would think of a more creative way to present the information. I thought long and hard about an interesting and unique way to present but ended up doing a regular presentation. 

This project was easy to understand but a lot of work to complete. It took me a long time to do my research and cite my sources because I got my information from so many different places. However, I learned a lot about the corruption of Haiti's government which I was not aware of and Chile's hostility with Peru. I also learned that Chile is one of the fasted growing economies right now so they have to be careful about their use of energy and money so it does not destroy their country or environment. For this project, I felt like we needed more time because I used all my time productively but in order for me to do the project thoroughly, i think it would have been more calm and successful if we were given more time.