Element Print

2018-05-31 09-38 page 1
2018-05-31 09-38 page 1
​I made a print based off of the element plutonium. Plutonium's atomic number is 94. Plutonium is well known for its radioactivity. While its best known use was for atomic bombs during World War II, it is more commonly used in nuclear power plants and back up batteries for space probes. My print does not resemble any of those uses because I chose to make it a pop culture reference. In the famous 80's movie, Back to the Future, the main characters used a time traveling Delorean that was powered by plutonium. I thought it would be something fun to make because it's what a lot of people think of when they hear plutonium. To make my print, I traced my design onto a piece of tracing paper and then used that to transfer it to my stamp. I made prints with my stamp by rolling a brayer covered in paint across it until it was covered. Then I put a blank piece of paper over top and pressed it down evenly with a wooden spoon. When I peeled it off I let it dry for a while then used a ruler to tear the edges down to a 4x6 piece of paper. The last thing I did was mount it on a 6x8 piece of construction paper so it had a 1 inch border. If I were to do the whole process over again, I would probably spend more time shading it in evenly. It looks kind of blotchy and weird. I was also kind of disappointed that a crease formed in my stamp that transfered to my print. Next time I would be more careful about that. Overall I really enjoyed this project, but my favorite part was the actual printing.