Fangda Luo: Process of Making an Animation

​Abstract:

This is a Performance Project: A short animation movie entitled “The Forgotten”

This choice was deeply rooted in my philosophy of modern life that modern human

beings should enjoy both the convenience of technology and the warmth of art, for

my ideal is to become an artist, not the one in its conventional sense, but the 21st

century artist that is armed with and can take advantage of new fruits of science and

technology. I understand that both art and computer science will play a central role in

this career and I must work hard in both these two fields. So in this sense, the project

I chose to work on offered me a good chance of practicing for my future career.

Furthermore, I strongly believe that interdisciplinary studies/projects like animation

making have become a new approach to innovations. This project will also contribute

much to my sense and competence of innovation and originality.

First of all: This is the settings for characters.
This animation is intended to reveal the corruption and devastating influence of money and

money-worship upon human spirit and human relationship by means of narrating the experiences

and observations of two young people.

Two major characters:

1) The Young Man

The young man is well-educated, and culturally and physically strong, and good at martial arts.

He has been told that he is an orphan and was taken and brought up by his stepfather. In fact, the

stepfather is the young man’s biological father, who, a wealthy businessman, has an illusion that

his son was adopted instead of being his own son just due to his strange psychological disease

which was caused by his great sorrow over the death of his wife, and thus puts his whole heart

onto money-making.

The young man is struggling between two values. On one hand, he is tired of the crazy wealth-

hunting acts and money-dominated values of his father and his father’s business partners. On

the other hand, he believes that he cannot live without money. Driven by such a dilemma, the

young man decided to live away, asking his father to give him the money just enough to support

himself.

The young man moves to a small and shabby lane, where poor people of different walks of life

stay.

This young man tends to humiliate people by showing them his money purposefully when he

comes to find somebody covets his money but never giving any chance to the latter.

He enjoys this kind of tricks, but in fact he is hurting himself at the same time. The more he

behaves in this way, the more evident the power of money proves, then the more it proves his

father is correct about money, and the more it proves that his values and spirit are twisted. So his

struggle and pain seems to be endless.

2) The Young Girl

The young girl’s father is also a businessman, and a business rival of the young man’s father. He

offends the powerful man over his big investment and later is killed quirkily in a traffic accident,

which the young girl is luckily absent because she is ill and is taken care of by her neighbor. The

father does not leave a will.

The young man’s father takes all measures and takes over the girl’s father’s business. The girl

moves to the home of her uncle, who works with the young man’s father’s company. The latter

cheats the girl’s uncle and usurps the girl’s father’s possessions.

Once the young man intentionally drops off some food and money when he notices the girl might

be seriously in need of money and food, and catches her when she picks them up. Then they

meet.

My process of making the animation is not fully finished because of time and difficulties of making animation and I have no way of converting the animation file from producing file into video file. However, Here are the drafts I have for the animation I am making.

P1040008
P1040008
P1040009
P1040009
P1040010
P1040010
P1040011
P1040011
P1040012
P1040012
P1040012
P1040012
P1040015
P1040015
P1040014
P1040014