Final Moments

‘The Five People You Meet in Heaven,’ by Mitch Albom

By: Alisha Clark

What is Heaven like? Do souls go up to a place called Heaven, where you become an angel and walk on clouds? From the author of the number one New York Times bestseller, Tuesdays with Morrie comes a long-awaited saga, a beautiful novel that explores a mystery only heaven can unfold.

Eddie, the main character, is a veteran who feels trapped in a meaningless life as a repairman of a seaside amusement park. Luckily, Eddie didn't always feel so trapped, he endured a very adventurous youth. Then changed into a spiteful old man. Eddie's days are filled with the same colorless routine and a side of regret.

It is the day of Eddie's 83rd birthday, and the book begins at the end, with Eddie dying. "The last days of Eddie's life was spent, like most of the others, at Ruby Pier, an amusement park by a great gray ocean. The park had the usual attractions, a boardwalk, a Ferris wheel, roller coasters, bumper cars, a taffy stand, and an arcade where you could shoot streams of water into a clown's mouth. It also had a big new ride called Freddy's Free Fall, and this would be where Eddie would be killed, in an accident that would make newspapers around the state." Eddie soon realizes heaven isn't a lush Garden of Eden, but a place where your life is explained back to you by five different people who you've encountered in the past.

Throughout the book, Eddie is desperately seeking redemption and questioning his final moments. Was it all worth it? Was the last breaths worth taking and can be considered heroic? Or was it shameful and a huge mistake? This book challenges you to think before you act because they may be your final breaths. Thinking after acting has been looked down upon, and is often what people do today.

Mitch Albom once again delivers another breathtaking original story that will enlighten your life in many ways. It will open your eyes into helping you see the brighter path in life. It changes your thoughts about the afterlife and the meaning of what life means on Earth. A story of love, hope, redemption, The Five People You Meet in Heaven is the bestselling hardcover first-time novel ever, Selling over 12 million copies in 38 territories and in 35 languages.