Gabriel Pingitore Language Autobiography

One day in eighth grade, we were in English class. Mr. Crain, my teacher of the time, started off the rainy Wednesday with a warm up for everyone so they can wake up. The warm up? It was a class wide game of Brainquest, and there were two options. The class could split up into two, or it can be the class against me alone. They went against me. It was the English version so the majority of it was spelling and grammatical questions. 

“Gabe, spell… dessert. As in, I just got done dinner and I’m hungry for dessert.” All I could think to myself was is he really serious?

“D-e-s-s-e-r-t” I spelled out loud to the class.

“Correct! The next word towards the class, onomonopia.”

“OH C’MON MR. CRAIN I CAN’T SPELL THAT!”

“GABE GOT THE EASY WORD!” So Mr. Crain offered a truce. 

“Alright, then how about this. If Gabe spells onomonopia right, then he wins. But if he spells it wrong, you guys win. But if he wins, you all have extra homework except him!” The class huddled in agreement, and then offered a question.

“And if he spells it wrong?”

“Then you all get a piece of candy, so all that’s left is Gabe. Gabe, spell onomonopia.”

“O-n-o-m-o-n-o-p-i-a?” Mr. Crain got a big grin on his face, 

“Sorry guys, extra homework for you!” 

“That’s not fair! Gabe’s smart cause he’s white!” said an angered student because of the extra homework. Mr. Crain got a disappointed look on his face and asked the student to step out in the hall. So in the end, it looks like my talent for spelling words comes from me being white. 

At first I really didn’t understand the situation. These were the same people I’ve been in school with since 2nd grade, and now I’m starting to see how they really feel about me? Not that it was ever a problem, but I was one of the few white kids in my class, but also one of the smartest. But I felt my intellect just simply came from how hard I was willing to push. Vocabulary was something I was very proud of for as long as I can remember. But when that student said what they said, I didn’t know how to react. The other students laughed and just moved on… but for my perspective it was completely different. 

I was offended because people stereotyped me and no one cared. “He’s smart because he’s white.” It may have only been a simple joke but that’s incredibly hurtful. So than I began to think to myself, if I try to lower my high use of vocabulary, then possibly people wouldn’t judge me as much. So that’s what I did. I purposely started doing a little worse in class in hopes that people notice. 

“Hey Gabe, how come I scored higher than you?”

“I guess you’re just smarter than me, huh?”

“Nah you’re white, you probably just had a bad day!” And so my suffering continues. The everlasting struggle for the need for code switching is still ongoing. But I needed a different strategy. More and more I became like my fellow students in the way they spoke, acted, and worked. Their mannerisms because clear and soon after I was able to perform for myself.

My high-end vocabulary became lack luster due to extended periods without challenging it. I started picking up more and more of this different dialect so I would simply “fit in” and not be that white kid. And eventually, things were able to settle out. Though they not have necessarily been the results I expected, it was better than being singled out every time. 

“Yeah! My boy Gabe!”

“Gabe’s my boul!”

“Gabe’s like one of those reverse Oreos, white on the outside but black on the inside!” But more importantly, because the over-abundant code switches were taking place, concern started to rise. My teachers and parents became worried that I was trying too hard to meet the expectations of everyone around me. And after listening thoroughly, I understood what they meant. There was indeed a very good line between code switching, and I was soon learning what that was. Soon, my well-rounded vocabulary started to rise from the depths, and I used more of my proper English dialect. But with certain friends, it’d be too taboo to speak in proper English, so therefore I would speak in tongues by using more of a dialect. I felt comfortable knowing I was only making other people comfortable with the way I spoke. Code switching is a very essential part in language because since language is meant to communicate between two individuals, you want to make it as comfortable as possible for the other person. Whether it be showing certain signs of respect, or saying a word or two differently. I became a master of the code switch. I would show respect to those of a higher authority like teachers and parents. I would be a little more free and loose with friends and not worry too much about language. And by doing an even amount of both equally, I was no longer viewed upon as “that white kid” because I had made my own name for myself. I became who I am, and I couldn’t have done it without learning to code switch languages in society.