gilead tunes

This books ideology and theme is that man are given the higher power in order to be able and reproduce with women. We can truly use the phrase “It’s a mans world” to describe Gilead, but they wouldn’t have a purpose as men if they weren’t maids or women who also take a major role, yet they aren’t treated equally. In James Browns song titled “It’s a man’s, man’s , man’s world” he points it out, while describing that men have done a lot in society, but it wouldn’t of had been possible without a women or a girl. In chapter 16, a “ceremony” takes place where ofred the main character chooses to have intercourse in order to meet her “duty” as a maid and get pregnant, the purpose of Gilead, reproduction. “This is supposed to signify that we are one flesh, one being. What it really means is that she is in control, of the process and thus of the product”(pg.94) This demonstrates that the women are necessary in order to create life, yes, the man sadly oppress and control this new society, but without women, it wouldn’t be nothing.

“It’s a Man’s, Man’s, “Man’s world” 

Ofred constantly tries to understand why she is used the way that she is used, as a machine, and non-human. Her body was never respected, and we can see that from both the new world of Gilead, and the way her husband Luke treated her after she had gotten fired, he still wanted to have sexual intercourse. She starts to dislike her body, for turning into the only thing people saw and judged. “ I avoid looking down at my body, not so much because it’s shameful or immodest but because I don’t want to see it. I don’t want to look at something that determines me so completely” (Pg.63) This connects a lot to a song by Billie eilish, titled “ What was I made for” which describes how a woman used to know what she was made for, she felt power over herself, then she’s confused in what her worth is. I believe that this connects so strongly, because ofred explains how she use to wear clothes that displayed her body, now she wants to not even see it herself.

“What was I made for”

Additionally the song by Andra Day titled “ Rise up” has a message which motivates someone to be able and continue no matter what the obstacles are.  We see this as well with ofred, even though there has been moments where she give us ideas that she’ll end her life, she keeps going. Just like there are sad moments, there is also good moments, such as her having Moira, it shows that she wasn’t alone. “I put my mouth to the wooden hole. Moira? I whisper, Is that you? She says. Yes, I say. Relief goes through me. God, do i need a cigarette, says Moira. Me too, I say. I feel Ridiculously Happy” (pg. 73) The song rise up would fit perfectly, because she gets happy and rises up for Moria, knowing that they are both in the same situation. “ And I’ll Rise up high like the waves, I’ll rise up in spite of the ache,and I’ll do it thousand times again, for you.” 

“Rise up”

The Jokers bathroom scene has a soundtrack that holds a lot of emotion in cinema, where just instrumental can convey sadness and madness. It was named “hildur guðnadóttir’ and it’s a soundtrack that shows emotion with the violin. This fits perfectly with “The handmaids tale” just like in the book, in The Joker, the society that is made. Targets a minority, that will surely sooner or later fight back. A scene where this instrumental would most fit is when ofred is with the commander, any time she is with him. This is because, we get to realize how messed up the society has become, and we also understand the uncomfortableness that ofred could feel at that moment. “ I take off my shoes and stockings and my cotton underpants and slide the feathers on, under the tent of my dress. Then I take off the dress itself and slip the thin sequined straps over my shoulders. There are shoes, too, mauve ones with absurdly high heels”(pg.231)

“Hildur guðnadóttir”

For my choice of song, the connection is about religion, how ofred started to pray. In her prayers she shows how she wants to be able and have hope in order to keep going. She gives out a prayer, that she modifies in order to go with what she is feeling. “ But I’ll try it anyway. In hope, as they say on the gravestones. You must feel pretty ripped off. I guess it’s not the first time. If I were you i’d be fed up. I’d really be sick of it. I gues that’s the difference between us.” (pg.195) In this song, it’s someone who is talking to god, and telling him that they are tired, and just want to hold on during the hard times. Something that ofred wants to do as well, but slowly is giving up.

“Im Tired’