Glass Castle

You can see our video here

(Dr. Aaron Van Saun enters the stage as audience claps)

Randy: Thank you! Thank you! I appreciate the claps. So today we’re back on the show, Dr. Aaron Van Saun. Today, we have a special guest. Her name is Jeanette Walls. She recently made a book called The glass castle. She is her with her mother, Rosemary Walls. Can we get a round of applause for both of them.

(Round of applause for Jeannette Walls and Rosemary Walls as both enter the stage)

Randy: please sit down here,please sit down here ( shakes hands with Jeanette and Rosemary)

Isabella: I’m very happy to be here

Sarah: Yeah me too

Randy: So, hey Jeannette Walls how are you today?

Sarah: I’m good how are you?

Randy: I’m good. So talk about your book The Glass Castle

Sarah: So basically it’s about my family growing up and how there wasn’t always much money and my mother's free- spiritedness to growing up and kind of letting kids be kids. And learn whatever they want. And end up well in the end

Randy: So today you’re here with your mother. How long have you been seeing each other?

Sarah: Umm..well we see each other on and off. Our relationship growing up was kind of rocky. We kind of made amends a few years back.  

Isabella: yea we put all that stuff in the past.

Randy: so if we are going to continue with the past, growing up, were you ever afraid or ashamed by how other people see you?

Sarah: I think that in a way I was but then I was not. Kinda based on my parent's spirit of we’re gonna raise, or kids, we don’t care what anyone says. Like they can deal with than. So yeah.

Isabella: Yeah we always raised her to not care about what other people think.

Randy: Bouncing off of what Jeanette has said, are you proud of what Jeanette has become? And how she is as a person today?

Isabella: I am very proud of what Jeanette has done with her life. She has a very comfortable living, unlike she did when she was growing up. But I raised her right, I know I did. One thing I feel like she didn’t grasp on was how she shouldn’t care what other people think of her. She is ashamed of me and her father because we chose a lifestyle that wasn't conventional and we didn’t have much money. So you know, we lived on the street.

Randy: Going off of what rosemary just said, is it true about how you think about your parents?

Sarah: I wouldn't say that's totally true. I’d say that yes, there living style is different from mine. And yes growing up I did want to leave that style. And I’m and adult, their adults. I was also taught to respect other people’s ways of living. I would’nt say that I was ashamed, more that I was worried for them. And that’s different from being ashamed

Randy: Any questions from the audience please? Yes, the young man in the gray.

Ethan: Yes I have a question for Jeanette! Why don’t you live by the parents your parents raised you?

Sarah: I actually touched on this question before. I was talking about how I wasn’t exactly unhappy I just wanted more growing up. I wanted to create a better life for myself growing up. That doesn’t necessarily mean I completely forgot about my parents’ ways, I just used some things from them.

Isabella: Yes, I know you kids wish you had more than you got. But look where it got you. One it gave you a great story and you made tons of money off of it. You kids don’t need that physical stuff.

Sarah: So you’re saying I didn’t need food growing up or electricity. I didn’t need new clothes. Yeah, I didn’t need physical stuff at all!?

Isabella: Well obviuosly you guys needed physical stuff like water and food. But me and your father tried!

Sarah: Yeah my father tried

Randy: Woah, Woah calm down

Sarah: He went to bars, he got drunk.

Isabella: And you think that's my fault?

Sarah: Ms. I can’t get a job, I need to focus on my artwork. How does that help your kids?

*Isabella walks out*

Randy: Stay stay! …. Does your mother always act like this?

Sarah: Yea she can’t confront her issues. She’s all happy and go lucky and we’ll figure it out. Well what if we don’t figure it out?

Randy: Well do you think your father has any play into this?

Sarah: Yes,he was drunk all the time, he’d come home, get mad at my mother and things would go south.

Randy: So where is he now?

Sarah: He passed away a few years ago...

Randy: Oh. Thank you ladies and gentlemen for watching the Aaron Van Saun Show. Jeanette ( shakes hand) thank you for coming.

Sarah: Thank you for having me!