"He's the Devil in Disguise, a Snake With Blue-Eyes"

Whilst listening to Cowboy Casanova by Carrie Underwood….

There was a boy. His name was Dylan and he was the head-honcho of Shady Oaks Campground. He was blonde-haired, blue-eyed and was a comic. All of the girls liked him, including Caroline. She was new, everyone at the campground had grown up spending their summers together and Caroline felt extremely out of place. She fell in love with the campground the first time she had ever gone. She had come at night with her family, put her stuff in the trailer and spent the night walking around, looking at the stars that weren't visible in the city, and listening to the sounds of laughter and crickets. It wasn't a large campground, but it was mostly quiet and undisturbed by sounds of the city like cars, obnoxious teenagers, and shootings and she could see thousands of stars in the sky above her. She almost never saw more than two or three stars from her house in Philadelphia.

The first time she met Dylan she was sitting by the pool in a tank-top and shorts with her bare, slightly burnt feet hanging in the clear water. He called to her, which she of course didn't' pick up on at first because he said "Hey you!" It dawned on her a moment later that he must be speaking to her because she was the only person whose name he didn't know. So, she turned and faced the picnic table that he was sitting on. She thought he was cute, but wondered why he could be disturbing her when she was minding her own business. "Yes?" she asked as she took in him and his many friends. "What's your name?" Simple enough, odd that he would ask, but simple. "Caroline" she replied. He said hi and smiled at her, she waved and smiled back and then turned her back to him. Eventually another boy by the name of Shjon swam up to her and introduced himself. He was younger than her, blonde-haired, blue-eyed and completely skin and bones. He stood talking to her while she played catch with her younger brother (her brother being in the pool and diving for the ball as she threw it and then tossing it back). Shjon went to join her brother at the other side of the pool and they dove to be the first to get the ball. Then, of course, Dylan and a few of his guy friends joined in. All of the boys competed for the ball and tossed it back to Caroline so that she would throw it again.

Later that night Caroline sat at the darkened park at the front of the campground and again she found Dylan. He came and sat on the bench with her and started asking her about herself. From this close it was obvious that Dylan was a very cute boy, he was being sweet and she told herself that she would make friends with this boy. Dylan had other things in mind. They talked and flirted, Caroline in a shy way, and eventually other people came to see them; girls from the campground. They were slightly younger than Caroline and they didn't really seemed to be bothered with her, they were curious about Dylan's approach of Caroline and they weren't happy about it. Caroline assumed that the girl who appeared to be the leader of the group liked Dylan and was used to being the one that he flirted with, she wasn't very pretty but the prettiest girl Caroline had seen so far. Maybe they were like the "It" couple. But, Dylan walked away form the other girls and insisted that Caroline come with him to the other side. So, she went and the other girls followed. They worked their very hardest to get Dylan's attention so Caroline walked away to go to the back park and watch the stars. Dylan left the other girls and followed Caroline. The other girls followed but decided not to be a part of what was going on and to just watch. They eventually left Caroline and Dylan alone.

Dylan helped Caroline onto a pile of sand and they sat there talking and looking up at the sky. He eventually laid down and Caroline just sat there with her arms locked around her knees. He told her she could lay down and put his arm out for her to lay her head on. So, she laid down leaning her head against against his shoulder. They talked, flirted and she found herself crushing right away. He was charming, he was an animal person, he was a Philly fan (Eagles, Phillies, Flyers..) and he was funny.

Eventually they kissed, spent time together every time she was down the campground, and started "dating" (if you consider seeing each other once in a while during the summer dating). Autumn came, the campground closed, they talked over the phone and promised to be together over the summer. Summer rolled around they dated, Autumn came around and they split. It became a cycle. Whenever they were apart he was with a hundred other girls, when he wasn't with her down the campground he was hooking up with other girls. She knew, but she couldn't admit it. Eventually they had sex and the next morning when she woke up in his arms, she felt like an idiot. Played back memories of when she made love for the first time and how different the two experiences were. She let herself see the real him and she didn't like it. She learned her lesson and she left him. She stayed friends with him, but she learned not to trust him ever again because she would never again feel the way she did that night.