Humanities Portfolio 2011

Screen shot 2011-06-13 at 8.54.48 AM
Screen shot 2011-06-13 at 8.54.48 AM
            Going into my sophomore year I was exciting to see what would be in stored for me academically. I was not so positive and confident about my writing skills freshmen year. So 10th grade was a new chapter to my life and I would make the best of it. The first few months we used our brains in a different way. We opened a new deeper level of analysis. Class discussions were a great asset because our growing inquiry and statements. I believe every student in copper stream had brilliant ideas and views and that was the reason to why our discussions were so successful and interesting.

The tool I will take from this year is to analyze a situation on a deeper level. Exploring a subject in a broad method is not the same as investigating in a more depth way. Often in high school students tend to read the same books from middle school. It is not a mistake. It is simply an opportunity to reread in a more intense style to make new deeper connections.

I had very little knowledge about the Cortez trial. I knew the basic information such as Cortez and his army took over the Aztec people. I never questioned why. In the trial we put our differences aside and accepted our role. “A story can be told in a million of different ways. Every story has a unique beginning or ending. Many stories can be hearsay.” That was a quote from my Cortez Trial response; I was referring to the testimonies from each of the groups and what really happen with the Aztec people. “We would have to be there at present moment to verify the honest truth.” History consistently repeats itself.  Also in my response paper talked about how Cortez men let Cortez brainwash them into helping him take over the Aztec people. From then on in class we were exposed to different examples that consist the same criteria. That’s when I came to the assumption that the alpha male can influenced and or alter the way people think or believe. My proof of that statement is of course the Cortez Trial, also Colonization, Prisons, Night, and Persepolis. In my history proposal for the museum exhibit "Till Death do Us Part: Story of the Aboriginal People" I explored the story line of the Aboriginal People and how Britain took over all of Australia. Even though our Prison unit was short but it proved my theory. Most prisoners are in prison because they don’t want to “snitch” on there friends. They rather face the consequences than stand up for themselves.

I enjoyed reading the graphic novel Persepolis it was something different and new. It showed how one person could turn a group of people against another group by labeling them as degrading.  This also tied into the Holocaust with the book Night. That general understanding really helped me with my Quarter 4 Benchmark. In my thesis paper, Beating to the Breaking Point was to prove that certain people could be a torturer. “To be intimidating, one has to act tough, making sure to set the record straight for anyone who once doubted his or her strength and took it for a weakness. Guilt must be replaced by no remorse.” That quote was from Beating to the Breaking Point and it was referring to the certain qualities a torturer needs to have.

Over the course of the year my writing skills has improved tremendously. No paper is perfect with out revisions. At first I was not at all thrilled at the fact someone else would peer edit my work. The reason for my actions was because of my low confidence and most importantly I did not want anyone to belittle my writing. I put my differences aside and became more open to feedback. At the very point my writing became to progress because of the helpful tips of peer edit sheets. The proofs of success are my Op-ed "Eating Our Way to the End", Lord of the Flies Thesis paper, Language Autobiography, and Beating to the Breaking Point.

Everything that was taught this year will be forever remembered. This course really prepares my peers and I for a higher education. From reading more than one back at a time to making connections on a deeper level it is all needed to help us succeed. And I am truly thankful to be exposed to such new and different studies.