Ibn-Haneef Nelson Capstone

For my Capstone project I decided to create and run a one day basketball clinic for young children ages 8 through 16. The goal I had set for this project was to give children who may not be as fortunate an opportunity gain new skills and experience. At the clinic we taught the children simple yet effective techniques and skills to try to improve their game. I played for SLA's Varsity Boys Basketball team for my entire high school career and developed from a not very skilled guard to a potential Division Three college athlete. Playing basketball can open doors for people who work to become great. My passion for basketball started in the 8th grade when I attended UPenn's Basketball camp, and I feel that if that passion developed at a younger age I could be potentially be playing Division One Basketball. So with this clinic I looked to help one of the children see basketball as more than a hobby they enjoyed, but to try to possibly make a career with the sport.
  1. Kay, Matthew. "Interview of Mr. Kay." Personal interview. 30 Jan. 2015.

• This source provides further information about African Americans and their relationship with poverty.

• I selected this source because it helps add to my argument about how teaching and aiding youth that don’t live in the best neighborhood could influence their life in positive way.

• I found this source useful because it helped aid my argument.

• One limitation of this source was it is an opinion.

1. Rami, Meenoo. "Interview of Meenoo Rami." Personal interview. 30 Jan. 2015.

1. Jeffcoat, Thomas. "Interview of Thomas Jeffcoat." Personal interview. 30 Jan. 2015.

1. Spells, Ashley. "Interview of Ashley Spells." Personal interview. 30 Jan. 2015.

1. TIERNEY, JOHN. "Prison and the Poverty Trap." The New York Times. N.p., 18 Feb. 2013. Web.

• This source provides information about the relationship between poverty and African Americans, and how youth that aren’t on the best path fall into the “trap” of being in and out of the system.

• One limitation of this source was it doesn’t directly relate to philadelphia.

1. MLaughlin, Lacey. "The Poverty-Crime Connection." The Poverty-Crime Connection. N.p., 19 Oct. 2011. Web. 29 Jan. 2015.

1. Jensen, Eric. "Membership." How Poverty Affects Behavior and Academic Performance. N.p., n.d. Web. 28 Jan. 2015.

1. "Poverty Rate by Race/Ethnicity." The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation. N.p., 2013. Web.

1. Morello, Carol. "Poverty Rates Higher for Blacks and Hispanics than Whites and Asians." Washington Post. The Washington Post, 20 Feb. 2013. Web. 30 Jan. 2015.

1. Plumer, Brad. "These Ten Charts Show the Black-white Economic Gap Hasn't Budged in 50 Years." Washington Post. The Washington Post, 28 Aug. 2013. Web. 29 Jan. 2015.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/poverty-rates-higher-for-blacks-and-hispanics-than-whites-and-asians/2013/02/20/401e6a6e-7b78-11e2-9a75-dab0201670da_story.html

http://kff.org/other/state-indicator/poverty-rate-by-raceethnicity/

http://www.ascd.org/publications/books/109074/chapters/How-Poverty-Affects-Behavior-and-Academic-Performance.aspx

http://www.jacksonfreepress.com/news/2011/oct/19/the-poverty-crime-connection/

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/19/science/long-prison-terms-eyed-as-contributing-to-poverty.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0