Kammii Hudson Marking Period One

So at the beginning of this quarter I was assigned basically to design something to represent recycling or the environment or something along that line. And that was it. That was the only direction that I was really given for this project. This meant that I had a large span of freedom to work with on this project. I wasn’t sure how to handle that first because of how many ideas that I had rushing through my eyes.

The first idea that I actual liked was to build a city out of bottles and cans. I would make it look like some kind of futurist thing because of how the inside of a can and bottles can be shiny if light hits them right.

It seemed like a good idea, but when I started to try to work it out, I couldn’t figure out how I wanted to make it work I didn’t know how to organize the different bottles and in the end it just didn’t work out the way I wanted it to.

The next big Idea I got was in the middle of class. There was a bunch of foam and then looking at it made me want to make a table from it. Maybe paint a cool design on it to represent recycling. So I started on that. Then I saw my friend who had extra pieces from what she was working on. As I was looking at them I started thinking about how most big things in America have some kind of mascot. Wendy’s has the Ginger Girl, McDonalds has the clown, Kmart has the light bulb guy. But why doesn’t recycling have an official mascot to stand for it. I mean, there’s just that little symbol thing. “I should make one.” I thought to myself. And so that’s what I’ve been working with so far. I went with the feel of the material I was using and in a way, let the art create itself. I cut out a head and the used my friends extra piece and ended up with a horse bird thing that had headphones.

Right now I’m in the process of painting it, but I think I want to build a setting around it. The reason it’s not done is because I feel as though I need to do a little more with it. There’s something missing from it that I have to have for it to be complete. Also, I ran out of paint in the middle of painting so I need to go buy some more. 

Photo on 2010-10-21 at 08.29
Photo on 2010-10-21 at 08.29