Lit Log #1 // Roger Ebert’s Rear Window Review

Roger Ebert’s review of Rear Window starts by stating, while it is wrong to spy on others, “aren’t we always voyeurs when we go to the movies (Ebert)?” This question wraps up my opinion on the essence of the film. I couldn’t agree more with the fact that we are looking into the lives of others through someone who isn’t, “a moralist, a policeman or a do-gooder, but a man who likes to look (Ebert).” It is a fresh idea for me as I’ve never watched one of Albert Hitchcock’s films in full. The set design truly made the film, it wouldn’t have the same impact if it was filmed in a cul-de-sac or any other neighborhood. I wholeheartedly agree with Ebert on the rating of this movie for sure!

With the film’s main conflict being the murder, the way it was filmed was innovative. The style in which Jeff realizes what has happened is worded by Ebert perfectly, “What he sees, we see. What conclusions he draws, we draw (Ebert).” The limited view shot using his telephoto lens forces us to look deeper into what is happening and capture all the details. Paired along with the rain and we have a very dynamic scene.

Ebert taught me something new about the style of the film, juxtaposed shots were used to show how Jeff’s mind concluded that a murder had just happened. I looked into what this method was exactly and was fascinated with the science behind it. Associating a neutral face with an object can conclude us to different emotions. I believe this is what makes Rear Window so special, it guides us on the journey of Jeff and his mission to observe.

Another thing that I agree with is Ebert’s opinion on Grace Kelly’s character, Lisa. She is a grandiose character that caught my attention immediately. I will admit that I was bored at the beginning of the film, but Lisa immediately lightened the mood. As one of “Hitchcock’s blondes” I am rather surprised that she didn’t follow any major stereotypes. She is smart, brave, quick-witted and her beauty enthralls everybody. By far she is my favorite character and her wardrobe is just a chef’s kiss.

That isn’t to say that Jeff isn’t a good character, because that wouldn’t be true. He is a bit lackluster in comparison with Lisa. This is something I disagree with Ebert about, he tries to overcomplicate Jeff’s character. While I agree that he is just a man who watches, I don’t think he would be as impactful if he didn’t have a leg cast on. The fact that he played a pretty passive role throughout the film makes me believe that most of his personality comes from the way his scenes were shot. Especially with the scene in which Thorvald is in his apartment, what makes it so memorable and funny is the method of filming. Jeff is pretty unimaginative and seems to make his decisions with the aid of others.

Ebert does a good job of explaining how the film is different from being a surprise film. It keeps the suspense of what will happen to the trio throughout the film. Though it isn’t a modern-day suspense film in which it has multiple deep layers, it gets the job done and is a pioneer in its genre. At the beginning of the film, I didn’t quite understand what was happening. The storytelling pulled through and clarified any doubt which is what I look for in a film, a clear plot. Sometimes all you need in a film is a good plot, good actors and good filming. That recipe is sure to make a nice film that I can justify the rating it received.

One last thing I can’t ignore is the ending, I wasn’t a fan of it. Ebert didn’t mention anything about it but I would be a fool not to. It is too cookie-cutter for my taste. While it does tie up any loose ends, it just falls flat. It’s like comparing Lisa with Jeff, he doesn’t hold a mirror to her.

What Ebert does mention about the overall film is that it will be “banking in our memory.” These couldn’t be truer words for me. Even after about a month of watching the film, it remains fresh in my mind. The character of Lisa stuck with me, Grace Kelly is such an amazing actor that made the characters hers. Ebert aced his review with this film, our opinions lined up for the most part. I will look more into his films in the future, I want another Lisa character!

Citations:

Ebert, Roger. “Rear Window Movie Review & Film Summary (1954): Roger Ebert.” Movie Review & Film Summary (1954) | Roger Ebert, 20 Feb. 2000, https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-rear-window-1954.

DeGuzman, Kyle, et al. “How to Master Juxtaposition in Filmmaking.” StudioBinder, 27 Feb. 2021, https://www.studiobinder.com/blog/what-is-juxtaposition-definition/.