Lobbying Blog - Final Post

What began as an incentive to stop the product known as Corn Syrup to be renamed as "Corn Sugar" has evolved into a full-on battle to force the food industry to become more honest. 

When the Corn Grower's Association began petitioning the FDA to have the name of the sweetener changed into something more "pleasant" and "natural sounding", it raised alarm among many people. My family were advocates of cutting the sweetener out of diets, so this led me to research the issue. What I soon realized was that this was not just limited to corn syrup itself, but to all edible products used in food production that needed a clear label.  

So, basically my lobbying issue became something more along the lines of "make labels in food more honest and clear", also known as label transparency. There were a couple things I did to garner more interest in my issue. The first step was email my representative, which I did and received no reply. After waiting and continuing to do the other portions of the lobbying project, I realized I needed to be more vocal about my issue. 

So, my next step will be to create an awareness campaign. My partner and are creating physical and plan on posting them in public places, (once the snow lets up a little, that is) possibly encouraging use of companies like 
NeutriSleuth, if only to garner awareness to the issue and attempt to cause the general public to realize there even is a problem, because it is something that can be very easily overlooked.