Choose Our Leaders!

How do we as people choose our leaders? When we vote we have the right to choose the person that will have the right opportunity to be the best person to make decisions for us at a local level. According to a news article in Daily News Philly, that states the way in when we are guided on how to vote,When voting, we oftentimes choose our leaders based on who appeals to us the most. This is observed through their physical characteristics, their actions, and what they advertise. These are all things that make making this decision a lot easier. In William Golding’s The Lord of the Flies, a story that tells about a group of schoolboys, who are trapped on an island, between  the ages of 6-11. With the loss of the adults, as days pass, the boys decide that they need a leader and a hunting pack. Remarkably, the boys have  the understanding of a conch shell to guide them if they ever need to gather up and have meetings. Going forward the boys began to see the true views of one another and they realized that they are in the middle of the war and that things need to change because the way in which the boys chose to pick their leader for the island, was decided but what they observed from the candidates and who they thought would be best to make their decisions for them. Because there were a variety of boys, all with different abilities, choosing a leader was not as easy and became a thing of who appealed more to them. Some candidates appealed more with physical characteristics while others with their ideas and knowledge about the next steps they should take before being rescued.

One of the candidates Jack was considered based on, a former choirmaster at his school when the plane crashed he sense the success in controlling over others since he has the eager to make rules and punish those who break them. His main interest is hunting, a seek that begins with the desire for meat and builds to an overwhelming urge to master and kill other living creatures. Jack has an attempted to dominate the groups of boys rather than working with Ralph to benefit him. But with the thought of the boy's decision of a remarkable leader of their actions he commenced to lose the boundaries of attending to any of the other responsible for the betterment or survival of the group. But the autocrat that becomes in jack grows to dominate in his personality during the fear of the beast being sighted. But as the days go by, Jack strives additionally to establish on becoming the prime leader of the group, he reinforces the illusion of power by using the other boys who were in the group choir at his school understood that he was a considerable lead.Notwithstanding Jack becomes power-mad.¨ painted and garlanded, sat there like an idol¨ (115) ¨Power lay in the brown swell of his forearms: authority sat on his shoulder and chattered in his ear like an ape.¨(116) Therefore, Jack is a represented as an evil and violence, a dark side of human nature, he is with the devil on his shoulder as his own animality, looking to master other creatures.

Additionally, the next candidate Ralph was considered based on as a socialized, civilized and decently intelligent. Ralph is the one who conceives the coming together place, the fire, and the huts. He synthesizes and applies Piggy 's knowledge is worth keeping for reasons, and he recognizes the false fears and superstitions as a barrier to their survival. He works hard and makes sure that the group is still in the thought of being rescued. But overtime Ralph began to lose his power of organized thoughts such as when he struggles to develop a docket for the meeting but finds himself lost in an inarticulate maze of vague opinion. Ralph's departure from verbal ability bodes ill for the group because his authority lies. He becomes worn down by the hardships and awe of primitive life history and is gradually infected by the savagery. Therefore, he Ralph got punished and was tracked down by Jack and his pack and Once Ralph becomes prey,¨lying there in the darkness, he knew he was an outcast.¨(145) But when he began to get frustrated with staying in one dark place, he began to knock things down and headed to the beach and encounters the officer and gets rescued ¨Squirming a little, conscious of his filthy appearance¨ realizing that the world is not all positive but does have evilness in it as well and is in all people of all.   

Moreover,  the next candidate is Piggy who was considered based on, as an intellectual with poor sightedness and has a weight problem. He looks at the world different than other, he looks at as a rational world, he has the calm and negotiator thought process. Yet the boys saw that piggy would not be a great and leadership, and he lacks the qualities and has no understanding of other boys. Piggy thought of the idea of the conch and thought that he could have a heard. Piggy asserts that "Life . . . is scientific."(64)  Piggy is so purported on preserving some remnant of refinement on the island that he assumes improbably enough that Jack group have attacked Ralph's group so that they can get the conch when of course they have come for fire and the reason for that was to preserve some remnant of civilization for the groups.Therefore,“What are we? Humans? Or animals?? Or savages? What're grown-ups going to think? Going off- hunting pigs- letting fires out- and now!” (99) Piggy meaning of this is saying that we as children think more creative and crazy when adults are no longer present.

In conclusion, The Lord of the FLies is the theme of which fierce/cruel is occurred of civilization. We are shown that the boys have all different characteristics,  Ralph represents civilization as he wants to enforce convention and let everyone have a match say and vote on intelligent wise.Whereas Jack who represents viciousness and is not interested in what they have to say, worried about getting voted for the strengths he has. Considering Piggy represents civilization as he think of the world as a different and scientific place that everything can be solved if you look at it from a different perspective, as well as acknowledging that voting shouldn't be for the intelligent or the ability to control other but to make sure the human that are around you can get the help from you and you get the help from them. So with this saying the boy's action show us consciously that forces them the infamilar things to make sure society functions properly.

Works Cited

Golding, William. Lord Of The Flies New York: Penguin, 2006.

Fitzgerald Thomas. Voters Guide  Pennsylvania and New Jersey general elections, 2017.

Amani Harb (Student 2020)
Amani Harb
  1. This essay has shown me that people chose their leaders based on who appeals to them most characteristically wise.

2. This could be changed if people start to look more at the facts when they are choosing a leader.