Mental health in Men

For my you and the world project my topic is Mental Health and Men. I chose this topic because it spoke to me and I wanted to learn more about it. Secondly I choose this topic because I feel that it is not talked about and is oftentimes overlooked by society. Some of my goals for this project is to not only learn more about it but the different ways it affects men and the different Minorities that it affects. My personal connection to this topic is that during the month of february I was especially struggling with my own mental health as a result of things like the pandemic, school and losing friendships. It matters to me because I know that it can be hard to talk about mental health because of the stigma around men that they should keep quiet about it and all the other aspects that affect mental health for men. I think that it’s very important for people to know about this topic because it affects Millions of men each year and isn’t talked about a lot. In addition to that I think that it’s important for people to know about because it is a very hard topic to talk about with men and it can be hard opening up about it. This issue is significant because talking to a guy in your life about it could make the difference in him getting help or staying quiet. Another reason this issue is significant is because a guy will really appreciate it if you just talk about it with him because it let’s him know that someone cares. Source 1 source 1 Summary - Different ways mental health is affecting Men. Quote #1 - The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism puts the annual number of men dying due to alcohol-related causes at 62,000, compared to 26,000 women. Quote #2 - Mental Health reports 6 million men are affected by depression in the United States every single year. Source 2 Source 2 Summary - Men can find it difficult opening up about topics like mental illness and depression. Quote #1 -They also explain that it is important to help men change the idea of receiving support from “a mark of weakness” to a necessary step in maintaining one aspect of health that is as important as any other. Quote #2 - “The American FOundation for suicide prevention also cite in 2018 data, nothing in that year alone, “men died by suicide 3.56 times more often than women”, in the United States.” Source 3 source 3 Summary - There are many different ways that mental illness can affect men and the different ways to help prevent it. Quote #1 - “For example, men’s issues often stem from societal expectations and traditional gender roles and leading men to think they must be the breadwinners in their family etc. Source 4 source 4 Summary - 1 in 5 men experience a mental health issue each year. Mental health for men is very important and is neglected due to social norms and costs almost 200 Billion dollars each year. Thirdly mental health affects different groups like olderly, bisexual/gay. In addition to that since the year 2000 suicide has been the 7th leading cause of death among men. Over 4 times as many men died of suicide than women in 2010. Quote #1 - “over 6 million men suffer from depression each year.” Quote #2 - “ Approximately 2.3 million men from ages 16-25 have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder.” Source 5 Source 5 Summary -Different Men share their stories and battles with depression. Quotes #1 - “ For one man scott his depression was small and started to build with stress because of the things in his life that were happening. Quote - #2 “ For Aidan it was his online relationships where he started to see his mental health decline.” Source 6 source 6 Summary - Different ways men can be encouraged to come out about their mental health and where to find those resources. Quote #1 - “The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention1 (CDC) has designated June 12 to 20 as National Men’s Health Week.” Quote #2 - “The main reason we have Men’s Health Awareness Month is that men die sooner than women and need to be more aware of their health,”

Post 1 draft  (1)