Negative Space (many days late)

IMG_20170516_201056-01.jpeg

Negative space is complicated. It’s kind of a hard concept to get but once you get it into your mind and think about it’s pretty simple. Negative space is the space that is in between and around the subject of whatever you are looking at or trying to show. For me real-life examples are the easiest so I will give you some. In this photo for example, my camera is focused on the heart and the background is my kitchen table but if I were to take a picture of my table from the ceiling than the floor would be the negative space because the subject would would the table and the floor would just be the backdrop.

Since this picture was pretty simple it was easy to find the negative space as you have the cut-outs in the heart which make them no longer the subject so that was pretty simple to find.

It definitely helps an artist to see negative space because, if you’re good, you can manipulate it to make things pop out of the image. Like those photos where the picture is focused on something but then you see something tough in the background of the photo and it’s really cool so I can really add another layer to art.

Seeing negative space in art definitely helps as it allows people to get a whole picture because you can definitely focus on something but then to see the surroundings of what you’re trying to show that’s really good and, I think separates the good artists from the great ones.