Offred needs something more illegal than the item theft

In the Handmaid’s Tale, we follow Offred through her day to day life that seems traumatizing in so many different ways. Offred experiencing awful relationships herself, and bearing witness to gruesome images of those around her are just some of the common occurrences her day may include - yet through all of this, were reminded multiple times of Offred’s desire to steal something.

At a first glance, this repeated detail can seem like it´s unnoteworthy, and a strange choice of a detail to repeat - quite literally in the context of safety concerning situations. To me though, Offred’s desire to steal something seems deeper: it seems like a fight for something to represent herself with.

In our world, I see self expression as fundamental to human existence - people represent their values, identity and aspirations in everything they do. Whether in person or online, communities people choose to be a part of are key to their identity - identity can be signaled or fulfilled by joining religious congregations, social groups and sports clubs. Clothing items also let people show off their individual style, and sometimes even show beliefs for social / political norms.

In Gilead, Offred has none of this. She, along with all the other women of Guiliad are stripped from their personalities and valued by society solely for their labor and reproductive roles. Women are classified by their roles: Wives, Handmaids who have babies, or Martha’s who clean and cook. Handmaid’s like Offred take on the literal names of their commanders (¨Of - Fred¨), and all of them are assigned a strict dress code.

I don’t see Offred’s desire to steal something as an evil craving, a means to upset the item’s owner or even just a desire to get a useful item. I see it as solely a craving for something to represent herself. Who wouldn’t crave this item like if they were in Gilead? Offred stealing this item would object to the rules of Guilead, object to the roles of power, and give her a physical, rebellious keepsake. Looking at it would be a reminder to how she did not conform to Guilad’s rules - she was better than them!

Later in the text on pages 136-137, once we’re already introduced to Offred’s desire, Atwood seems to further touch on this interest and illustrate it as a true personal Journey Offred feels she needs : Offred says “It’s an old one, he said, a curio of sorts. From the seventies, I think. A Vogue. This like a wine connoisseur dropping a name. I thought you might like to look at it. I hung back. He might be testing me, to see how deep my indoctrination had really gone. It’s not permitted, I said. In here, it is, he said quietly. I saw the point. Having broken the main taboo, why should I hesitate over another one, something minor? Or another, or another; who could tell where it might stop? Behind this particular door, taboo dissolved.”

Initially, this was confusing. It goes against the sensible solution of why we kept hearing about Offred’s desire to steal something. How does an antique, rare Vogue article not sound like the perfect thing? How could Offred be such a beggar and chooser? It even had the illegal element that Offred desired?! Later on though, I realized the embarrassingly obvious intention as to why this was included by Atwood, that answers all of the questions as to why the item stealing was brought up so many times: this desire of an item, isn’t just a desire for a single physical item that represents Offred, it’s a desire for the journey of that item. The commander giving this item to Offred, not only takes away from the illegality and power proving desire of truly stealing something - but it also makes it come from someone she hates.

Offred recognizes she is far from herself ; Offred even recounts memories of her younger self in an alien-like way. For Offred, this item stealing detail shows us that she needs this personal improvement - but even if she steals the perfect item - Offred will be far from fulfilled. Assuming that Atwood will eventually wrap up the book in some heartwarming way (given so far gruesome nature) that completes Offred’s journey - makes me think that something big will happen. No simple end to the book like Guilead’s end to the oppressive society or Offred’s escape could do the job ; I think Offred will have to do something incredibly dominant to reach a far opposite of the power she feels now. Maybe kill the commander.