Pipeline Monologue Project

With these monologues I wanted to provide different viewpoints on the pipeline.  One of the things that is major about the pipeline are injured workers.  I wrote one as a person who just had an injury and one talking to his kids about the pipe line after his injury.  With the one of the guy talking to his family I wanted to get the view of somebody that is already home and how they would tell about the pipeline.  The last one is a person that is trying to get rid of the protesters.  I was trying to show how a guard would feel about the situation.  They are just doing there jobs but they might have different opinons on it.

Monologues

Merrik Saunders

Good Old Fashion Chaos

Just a week after the surgery Dave is sitting in a wheel chair alone in the hospital.  He is imagining the times before the accident.  He believes he can walk again but soon after falls to the ground.  Tim starts to relive the accident.

Just alone at the hospital I start to imagine the days before I was stuck in a wheel chair.  I begin to lift my self-up, hoping that I could walk again.  The same thing happens every time.  I start to remember the accident.  What people perceive as pain doesn’t even come close to this.  I start to fall.  I hold my self up with the bar in front of me.  The things attached at my hips no longer work.  The shiny white tiles turn into the tan dirt.  I am scared out of my mind realizing what was going to happen.  My hands drenched with sweat slip off the bar and I fall into the ditch below.  I gave the signal to go before I slipped.  My other people couldn’t see me from the massive crane and pipe it was holding.  In ten seconds the metal is on top of me crushing my legs.  Snapping all of the bones.  I let out a scream.  One of those screams that show true pain and suffering.  The rest of my men take what seems like an eternity to get the pipe off of me.  Why the hell was is so damn hard to get a pipe out of a ditch?  The searing pain turns into a numb feeling.  I start to see blackness.  Then just like that I am strapped down to what I think is a table of some sort.  The sharp knives start to tear open my legs exposing the damage that has been done.  Men and woman are rushing around me in blue masks and robes.  I start to convulse in pain.  Two seconds later the darkness is back to drag me down again.  The nurse is running towards me in great haste.  Am I back in the hospital now?  The white tiles are back and my legs are healed but not working.  They wheel me back to my room to lie down.  Damn it happened again. 

Just Doing My Job

Greg is at the White House keeping guard.  He sees the protesters starting to swarm in.  He gets a call to rally up his men and take care of them.

Stupid tree huggers, they are always getting in the way.  No mater what this pipe is going to happen so they should just suck it up.  Do they realize the good that will come from all of this?  It will make it way easier to get oil to the states.  The oil prices will go significantly down.  I thought these people wanted the oil price down.

Get call to get rid of the protesters

“Yes Sir. I’ll get right on it” I should probably get down there.  My men and I started down the stairs of the Whit House to confront the protesters.  They are instructed to leave the premises but of course they gave us a hard time.  Then there was this one guy who wouldn’t move.  No mater what we said he wasn’t budging.  We start to move towards the one person.  Then out of know were the guy pulls out a knife and starts to run towards me screaming.  “You will pay for killing the earth,” he said.  Then I reach into my suit jacket and pull out my gun.  “Freeze”, I said but he was still running.  I hesitate for a second.  I put the gun up to aim and look down the barrel.  Then just like that I pull the trigger.  Bang!  The bullet hit him and the guy falls to the ground tumbling towards us.  I feel my hand drop to look at the scene.  We start to walk over to him.  I shot the man in the leg.  The man is screaming and holding his leg.  The blood is staining the green grass.  I look at him thinking to my self did it really have to go down like this.  Then they start to take him away.  They really must feel strongly about this pipeline.  He knew the consequences for his action still he did it.  Maybe this pipeline really is bad.  I turn and start to walk away.  It can’t possibly be that bad, or can it? 

Playing With Fire 

After an explosion while working on a pipeline Dan decides to protest against the pipeline and thinks that working on it is a bad decision. 

I get home and I am just amazed at the things that could happen with this pipeline.  ”Hey kids come hear” I said, “Daddy is back.  Were is mommy?”  She is just getting ready for work as usual.  “Hey I have something to tell you all.  Remember daddy’s work, and what happened?  I just got a bunch of information from it.  Things like how the pipeline might pollute the water.  That’s not good for people to drink or for the fishes ether.  They look up at me in astonishment.  A lot the places that the pipe is going through disturbs places that animals and people lived.”  They are just kids but I think that they should at least know about it especially what happened with me.  They ask me why would anyone want to hurt people and plants? I tell them it’s to make a lot of money.  They will do it even if they hurt the word.  Then they ask why would I work to help that?  I say it’s to provide for the house.  With out the job they couldn’t have the things that they like.  I tell them that to not worry, good people are trying to stop it from happening and daddy is looking for a new job.  They go off and play for a bit.  My wife sees that I have told them and happy about it.  About a half a hour the kids come back to me with a drawing.  They say it’s for me.  It’s a picture of me breaking a pipe in half and stopping the construction.  “Daddy likes it a lot,” I said.  I really wish I could do that but for now I will just try to do what I can to stop this pipe from happening.