Product

(Slams down pencil) I’ve been working on this stupid worksheet for a hour! It’s so pointless! When will knowing a bisecting angle ever be needed in life! School is so dumb they spend hours teaching us topics that we will never need. Why don’t they teach us how to do taxes! That’s actually important. Like if I don’t do my taxes I can get arrested, if I don’t do my homework I will just get like a C! Getting a C is still passing though! Homework makes no sense. When will teachers realize that the more work they give us, the more work they have. Then when they are stressed from grading things they let it out on us.

Okay, I won't lie,up until 7th grade, homework was useful. Adding and subtracting is needed in the real world, but when will I ever have to know the Pythagorean theorem. Then teachers are like “It helps reinforce what we learned in class” It really doesn’t! I forget everything the moment I leave the class, then when I get home I just look at the sheet in confusion.

I’m tired of this stress. I'm only fourteen but I have so much work to do. I have to get good grades, do my chores, have a social life, go to church and actually have time for myself. Everyday is a playlist that is on repeat, maybe once in awhile a new song is added that changes the playlist a little. (Sigh) But other then that it’s always the same thing over and over. I'm just tired of this. The worse part is that you think I don’t do anything. You always say; “All you have to do is go to school, and you don’t even get good grades” It’s just never good enough. No matter what I do it’s not good enough. Every grade I get, takes hours of work and pushing myself. Just because I got a C doesn’t mean I didn't try. Maybe I fought for that C and that was the best I could do. But you don't care you only care about the product. But the agonizing hours of work that were put into the product is what matters. But you don’t see that. You didn’t see when I was taking the test hoping that every answer I wrote was right. No all you see is the red ink that represents every mistake that was made.

I’m tired of the stress. I'm only fourteen but I have so much going on in my life. I have to make you happy, my friends happy, it seems like my sole purpose of being on the earth is to make everyone happy. And in the process of making everyone happy I forget to make myself happy. I forget that if I’m not happy then I can’t make you happy or my friends happy. I forget that if I’m not happy then my daily playlist becomes a daily annoyance that torments my soul every second of every cursed day until the moment when everything stops. But you don't care about any of this, you only care about the product.

The Product By Opoku Recorded By Sam

Destiny Patton (Student 2018)
Destiny Patton

Okay this was absolutely incredible. I can connect with this character 10000000% like this me. I feel them about being so confised on the homework you don't know if you even learned it in this lifetime. And, I really get thte stress of making everyone happy. Something that will stick with me is the part about happiness. It just i really understood it.

Jonathan Saldivar (Student 2018)
Jonathan Saldivar

I definitely can connect to this character because I too do agree homework isn't important. The reason why homework isn't important is because most classes review the several things we spent learning before a quiz, a test, or even the keystones. The one moment that will stick with me form this monologue is "But you don't care about any of this, you only care about the product." Great job Opoku! Also shout out to Sam for recording.

Kimberly Barnes (Student 2018)
Kimberly Barnes

Omg Opoku I loved your monologue it was soo relatable! I feel that way all the time in math, like I wonder if half the stuff we learn is relevant. I got a C my first year in math freshman year too, and I felt the same way. I tried but not hard enough. I like how you incorporated church THAT I can definitely relate to. Omg. Anyways, yea I really liked your monologue. A part that stuck with me is the beginning, I really like the emotion.