Recipe and Analysis- Cauliflower & Cheese

Recipe- Cauliflower & Cheese

Ingredients-

• ½ Cauliflower

• Block of Cheddar Cheese

• ½ cup of Milk

• Teaspoon of Salt

• Dash of Pepper(optional)

• 3 cups of water

Directions-

1. Pour 3 cups of water into pot and add a dash of salt.

2. Cut up cauliflower and boil it in pot for 5 min.

3. After done boiling place cauliflower in water strainer.

4. Pour ½ cup of milk into glass or microwavable bowl.

5. Cut up block of cheddar cheese and place it into bowl. Then add salt and pepper.

6. Add cauliflower in glass bowl and then place it in the microwave for 2 min.

7. Take it out and stir. Then put it back it for 1 ½ min more or until you think it’s done.

8. Ready to eat!

Analysis-

This recipe in my family is supposed to be a healthy substitute for Macaroni & cheese (cauliflower replaces macaroni). The main ingredients includes Cauliflower, Cheddar Cheese, and Milk which are all whole foods depending on the brand. Vegetables and non-homogenized dairy products all count as whole foods according to the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center. Since most of the foods in this dish are whole foods it’s considered a healthier recipe. 1 cup of Cauliflower is about 25 calories, has 2 grams of sugar, and no fat. 1 ounce of Cheddar Cheese which is less healthy has about 115 calories, 0.1 grams of sugar, and 9.6 grams of fat. ½ a cup of milk is about 52 calories, has 13 grams of sugar, and 2.4 grams of fat. Although this meal may be healthier than regular Mac & cheese eating it all the time would not be healthy because of all the cheese and milk.

The Cauliflower we buy at whole foods is about $3.99 per head, while the cheddar cheese is $3.60 per block, and 2% milk is $2.50. The salt and pepper is about $1.99 each, so the total cost of the meal is about $14.07 in total. This obviously costs a lot more than regular mac & cheese you could get at a fast food restaurant like KFC or popeyes which is about $1.99. Compared to fast food though our recipe is lot healthier, tastes better because it’s homemade, and isn’t too expensive if you ration or save it. We usually get our food at whole foods which is a big corporation. The cauliflower we buy comes from braga farms which is a small family owned farmed which grows organic vegetables. The cheese comes from the cooperation sargento and the milk is a whole foods brand called 365 everyday value. These businesses big or small were involved in producing these foods, and although I don’t really trust big corporations, but  they do say they are FDA approved and organic.