Reflections of Gilead: Offred Through a Broken Mirror

IMG-1982
IMG-1982

The artwork I have chosen to create is inspired by Margaret Atwood’s dystopian novel “The Handmaid’s Tale”. The artwork captures the essence of the protagonist in the novel Offred, in a manner that encompasses her true internal conflicts and character development. The central theme of the artwork revolves around the impact of the theocratic, authoritarian society, Gilead, on Offred’s identity and the transformation of her life. In this image, Offred wearing a handmaid’s attire gazes into a shattered mirror that symbolizes the contrast between her life before and after Gilead’s rise as a society. The right half of the broken mirror represents Offred’s life before Gilead. This side has warm, vibrant colors, a significant contrast to the bleak, muted tones of the left half of the mirror. This half depicts her as a free woman, surrounded by her own reflection in various roles as a mother and an individual with a sense of self worth. The reflection of her daughter is very significant as it represents a major connection to her maternal identity and that contrasts the physical, enforced separation Gilead has bought. The left half of the mirror shows Offred as a handmaid staring emotionless into a faded photograph of her daughter. This side of the mirror reflects the profound impact of Gilead on Offred’s life. Her identity has been reduced to a role of a fertility vessel for the ruling class. She has been stripped of all individuality and personal agency. The choice to wear the red robe and white bonnet further illustrates the systematic suppression of identity and character. I chose to include a shattered mirror as it serves as a metaphor for the brokenness of Offred’s life and her fractured sense of identity. Gilead’s authoritarian rule has shattered the essence of her existence and has left her feeling trapped between two alternate worlds. The readers often witness her emotional journey and internal conflict when reflecting upon her past and present. The broken mirror also hints at a possible reconciliation between her past life and her present situation. The crack is noticeable and suggests that despite the harsh reality of Gilead, fragments of Offred’s past life will always linger. The faint image of her daughter in the photograph is a beacon of resilience and hope. It ultimately represents the determination and desire to reunite with her child. I tried to capture the essence of Offred’s character and the detrimental transformation she experienced in Gilead. This artwork has the potential to convey the physical and emotional trauma inflicted upon Offred but also highlights the theme of resilience and determination in individuals in the face of adversity and oppression.