The Lion King Reimagined

Created by Rifah, Ben and Kevin
The purpose of our trailer was to transform a fun, famous children’s film into a dark, frightening and suspenseful cinematic adventure. While the Lion King is a movie of hope and eventual happiness, the film looks scary and nerve wracking. We did this by using the techniques of the auteur Alfred Hitchcock, who is widely considered the master of suspense. We based our trailer off of his Psycho trailer and his skills as a famous director of suspense. While we took a slightly different route, thanks to our use of an animated movie that was not initially produced in black and white, the trailer was created to simulate what the Lion King would look like with Hitchcock type features. The differences between Lion King and Hitchcock films were made up by using the ongoing tropes often found in his movies.

As previously stated, we employed the same skills that Alfred Hitchcock used to attract viewers to his movies. Through multiple methods, including the actual creation of Hitchcock's trailers to his film’s overall ambiance. From the get go, we tried to set that feeling of suspense. The trailer opens up with the sun rising and nice music, but it quickly turns to screeching music (from Psycho), with the animals quickly looking up and running away, as it seems, at the non-diegetic sounds. We also noticed from the Psycho trailer that Hitchcock was very straightforward and worried more about giving the viewers a good sense of the story more than anything in his trailer. We also tried to replicate the same kind of deep, creepy voice that he has to try and physically make the trailer as similar to him as possible. Outside of connections between our trailer and the Psycho trailer, we tried to make the preview suspenseful. Slow, methodical narration, a black and white backdrop, a fast pace of clips, and a beating around the bush of the plot line all contributed to the Hitchcock feel of the film. The black and white theme not only represented Hitchcock’s depiction of Psycho but also provided a grim feeling to the trailer. The music also played a major role in that aspect. We used the creepy soundtrack from Psycho to add emphasis to the suspense. The music is matched up with the visuals to make the trailer even more appealing to the viewer. A fast pace of clips, most noticeably at the beginning of our trailer, also added to the feel of a horror film. It makes the viewers head spin around and heart beat faster. While dishing out the plot line with basic speech in a trailer isn’t the most effective way to attract viewers to a film, it was exactly how Alfred Hitchcock went about his trailers. He provides blatantly explanations of the film, giving away details of the story line, accompanied by non-diegetic music, as the way to build suspense before the film even begins. Finally, the trailer ends on a note that makes the viewer want to know more about the story. The trailer is specifically designed to end at a point that will leave everyone at the end of their seat begging to know more. 

Link To Video: https://drive.google.com/a/scienceleadership.org/file/d/0B_W9Hi30VobXVDhtRm0xM1ZnM3M/view?usp=sharing