Uncommon Romance Part 3

Two days later, he buzzed her over the intercom.  They took the subway to a restaurant that he had been visiting since his childhood.  La Caridad means charity in Spanish, but the food was delicious. The small dining room was filled with families and college students, all laughing and enjoying their Cuban-Chinese meals.  She decided he would have to take Batia there for next week's girl's night.  

As the conversation deepened, she realized how different they were.  

"So what about your family.  They must be liberal enough, if you're on a date with a black guy."

"Actually, I grew up in the suburbs, in Jersey.  And I'm not planning on telling them quite yet.  

"Oh. Well, if anything, I'm pretty good with secrets.  My parents never knew that I dropped out of the Seventh Day Adventist HBCU that they sent me to." He laughed.  "Any rebellious nature in there?" He nodded at her.

"No, not really.  I mean, there was a time when I didn't want to go back to college-I didn't have any friends; it was horrible.  I took the bus all the way home (it was a 6 hour bus ride, which I had never taken before) alone, without even telling them I was coming.  I even crossed the 6 lane highway to get to my street- but they convinced me that it would work out and eventually I met some great people."

"Wow, so a Jewish girl, who likes adventure," he said. "This could work."  

I hope you're right, she thought, as she took a sip of her Diet Coke.