World of 100

The sections I was most accurate in were the “owning vs. not owning a computer” and age categories. For the age I think I was accurate because the age division seems to be the same almost anywhere you look. In every statistical set of data you’ll find that the age separations are pretty consistent. Because of this, I recognized seeing the numbers fairly often and used memory to take my guess. For the technology section, I simply assumed/knew most people in the world didn’t have access to a computer like we do at SLA. I picked the simplest ratio (90 to 10) and that was close enough to the real answer (88 to 12).

I didn’t get much right but I think the incorrect guess that was most surprising was the gender and drinking water categories. Usually when I look at schools, there's more girls than boys in a class. That has been mostly true for me since first grade. Seeing that we’re actually split right down the middle shocked me because I had never seen that ratio before. The drinking water was a shock because in lower school we did an assignment and found that only about 3% of the water in the world was drinkable. Because I this I assumed that there would be more people without water than with it and not the other way around.

My predictions weren’t split evenly but there was enough in the right category (in my opinion). I think this is because the city of Philadelphia doesn’t give me an accurate outlook on the world. Philadelphia and SLA project statistics and ratios that are much different from the actual world. If someone only saw one type of people wherever they went they would think the entire world was filled with those types of people, that's what SLA and Philadelphia have done to me. In some aspects they're an accurate portrayal of the word but in most aspects they're not.